Ranchi College of veternity Sciences and Animal Husbandry was established on 30th November, 1961. (Late) Col. Dr. S. M. Ishaque, G.B.V.C., P.G (Germany), F.R.V.C.S (Sweden) joined as first principal and under his dynamic leadership the main building, hostels and residential units were constructed. It was a constituent college of Ranchi University and functioned under state animal husbandry department till 1970. With the establishment of Rajendra Agricultural University (RAU) at Pusa, Samastipur, in 1971, this college became a constituent college of R.A.U. the college was established with undergraduate teaching only and it was in the year 1972 when P.G courses were started in six disciplines. These programmes were further strengthened in all major disciplines in 1977 onwards.
With the inception of R.A.U., as per mandate, it was obligatory on the part of state animal Husbandry Dept to transfer all research unit as well as livestock and Poultry farm to the university which could not materialize and state A.H. Department transferred only Veterinary Colleges situated at Patne and Ranchi restricting its facilities to teaching only. However, inspite of these constraints the collge of Veterinary Sciences & Animal Husbandry moved on the path of glory through its faculty’s dint and determination and became the main campus for Post graduate studies. On 26th June 1981, Birsa Agricultural University was inaugurated by the Prime Minister(Late) Smt. Indira Gandhhi and this college became the part of the new university as the only institute to impart Veterinary council of India and imparts U.G. teaching besides M.V.Sc and Ph. D. programmes, Diploma and Certificate courses in Aquaculture along with research and extension education activities.
The faculty of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry is situated in the campus of B.A.U. near Kanke Block. It is about 16 kms. From Ranchi Railway station and 20kms from Birsa Munda Airport. The location stands at 85019E and 23017’N and 625 meters above sea level. The climate is sub humid mega thermal.
The Mandate of the Faculty
- To import Veterinary & Animal Husbandry education up to doctorial level.
- To undertake basic, applied & adaptive research in all disciplines relating to livestock & poultry production & post harvest technology including conservation & implement & maintenance of livestock and poultry germplasm.
- To impart specialized training, pertaining to veterinary science and animal husbandry.
- To provide referral & consultancy services in all aspects to Veterinary and Animal Husbandry.
- To develop, update and standardize package of practices concerning feeding, management, health coverage including disease diagnosis, breeding strategies, reproduction and livestock & poultry production technology & transfer of technology for use by the livestock & poultry farmers & the industry keeping in view of the eco-friendliness.
- To serve as a state repository in all aspects of livestock & poultry production, post-harvest technology, and the health cover.